Pages

Friday, August 16, 2013

Dogpaddler Down! (Venturing Into the Creativity Gene Pool)


My least favorite subject in grade school was Art Day.  Sure, it only lasted 50 minutes, but it felt like a 12-hour shift every time.  Other kids loved marching down that long hallway for torture every Tuesday, but even though Walter Cronkite had recently announced the invention of lung cancer, I would have preferred to wait in the teachers' lounge during their Art Day smoke break.

Art Day was humiliating - they made me use just my imagination.  Nothing else.  Except paints, markers, rolls of butcher paper, glue, cotton balls, crayons, macaroni, pipe cleaners, tape, yarn, and one ton of multi-colored glitter the principal shoveled from a dump truck on Mondays.  But that WAS IT.

Adding insult to injury, I was born into a family of professional artists who could sculpt mashed potatoes into something so beautiful it made me weep.  I sculpted a perfect brontosaurus in sixth grade, but when Mr. Amadio opened the shoebox littered with clay pebbles and toothpicks he asked if I had thrown it off the bus.

I had not.

I accidentally drew a perfect reindeer in second grade for the Christmas mural.  When my older sisters stopped by for a private viewing, they piled on tons of praise while my teacher tried catching anybody's eye to wink.  She only caught mine.  I still blame that hex for the perfect reindeer's sleigh-pulling partner I drew later that day.  He resembled an angry cigar with way too many legs.

(On, Dancer!  On, Stogie!)  Santa got a 'handicap' sticker that year.

But our school district allowed something fun during Art Day twice a year - CRAFT HOUR.  The biggest stressor that day was whether my hand could shoot up fast enough for a leatherworking kit.

I usually ended up with those colorful, spongy loops intent on becoming hot pads.  Mom used the hot pads faithfully, even though the spongy loops panicked and fled to one side as the oven door opened - leaving a clear path for Mom's fingers to go on ahead and check the REAL temperature of that casserole dish.

When they were laundered they became little padlets - still capable of squishing to one side, but that talent wasn't necessary.  Even Mom's tiny hands could only manage to keep two fingers and part of each thumb on the spongy padlets.  Those dinners flew into the dining room with Mom in hot pursuit, hoping to aim the flaming goods in the general direction of the table.

When I signed up for today's Introduction to Leatherwork I had hoped some natural talent might shine through since my father owned a saddlery when I was young.  He made saddles and chaps and bridles - each piece cut from large pieces of leather, then tooled and dyed and laced...

Here I must admit that I have no idea about the actual process.  It was just the job he went to every day.

My class started off without Art Day flashbacks from the years when eight-year-olds licked paintbrushes to set off a screamy teacher.  Today's instructor was so nice!  He had a real passion for leatherwork and actually believed the rest of us could, too.  I made sure to shake his hand early on so he'd notice all ten of my thumbs before I picked up the giant leather-pounding mallet.

But I was not prepared for the way the leather smell made my throat a little lumpy with memories of the saddlery.  Or the way the wire-handled lambswool swabs dipped in earth-toned dyes made me blink a lot.

My sister Jenny and I logged many hours waiting for the saddlery to close if we hadn't taken the bus home from school.  We climbed on saddles, played 'Zorro' with fishing poles, and made bracelets out of shiny spurs.  I never asked Dad to show me what he was doing back at his workbench. 

There are no saddleries where I live now, so I didn't mention anything to my classmates today.  They would have seen me as the crazy lady who rattled on about a strange dream she'd had, instead of the crazy lady who suddenly realized a whole wealth of knowledge about leatherworking died less than a year ago.

We made two projects today.  There were no wallets, but that was just as well because the stamping part was harder than it looked and those kits had come pre-designed.

First I made a bracelet for my daughter Abi.  I must have known this day was coming when I gave that girl a name with three letters - they centered themselves perfectly.  (If she'd been christened Esmerelda, I would have invented the nickname Esi for her starting today.)  Then I got brave enough to use three different tools to create a design.  It made me sweat.

I stamped a buffalo into the front of a keychain for my sister Debby since she loves All Things Yellowstone.  I tap-tapped in a little design around the edge and thought I was done before noticing a stamp with a tiny eagle.  Dad loved eagles.  I wasn't brave enough to stamp it into the front, so I pounded its outline into the back.

But when I turned the keychain over, the eagle's shadow showed through on the front - right above the buffalo's head.

The teacher felt awful - he hadn't seen what I was doing or he would have stopped me.  He asked if I wanted to start over and offered to help me get it right.

What?  I loved the result - it was better than the Virgin Mary on a waffle!  I was thrilled that it still showed up after I slathered on green dye - and especially happy that I hadn't accidently stamped that eagle closer to the buffalo's rear end.



I'll not pretend I could ever recreate one tiny bit of whatever happened at that workbench in the saddlery.  And as a post-retirement hobby, this one would alienate most friends and family after approximately two rounds of Christmas gifts. 

But I left class with no glue in my ears, no glittery grit between my teeth, and my heart brimming with whatever the feeling is that's the exact opposite of humiliation.

Best Art Day ever.


(What causes a wronged person to chuckle melodiously instead of smacking someone upside the head?  Attitude!  Learn how to walk away - right here - next Friday.)

No comments:

Post a Comment